[FoRK] What's that sound???

Albert S. albert.scherbinsky
Wed Jul 27 14:25:45 PDT 2005

--- Elias Sinderson <elias at cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Albert S. wrote:
>
> >[...] Most people think Saudi Arabia is the largest
> source of oil to the U.S. but it is actually Canada.
> >
> This casually depends on the sources you use (and
> when their data was
> collected) and whether you are talking about crude
> or refined petroleum.
> At various points in the recent past, Saudi Arabia,
> Canada and Mexico
> have all held the coveted position of selling us the
> most crude.
> Conveniently enough, the latest set of statistics on
> this was released
> yesterday:
>
>     /*May 2005 Import Highlights: Released on July
> 26, 2005*/
>     /Monthly data on the origins of crude oil
> imports in May 2005 has
>     been released and it shows that two countries
> have exported more
>     than 1.5 million barrels per day or more to the
> United States.
>     Including those two countries, a total of five
> countries exported
>     over 1.0 million barrels per day of crude oil to
> the United States
>     (see table below). The top sources of US crude
> oil imports for May
>     were Mexico (1.748 million barrels per day),
> Canada (1.722 million
>     barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1.430 million
> barrels per day),
>     Venezuela (1.273 million barrels per day), and
> Nigeria (1.111
>     million barrels per day). The rest of the top
> ten sources, in order,
>     were Iraq (0.588 million barrels per day),
> Angola (0.341 million
>     barrels per day), Ecuador (0.238 million barrels
> per day), Kuwait
>     (0.213 million barrels per day), and United
> Kingdom (0.194 barrels
>     per day). Total crude oil imports averaged
> 10.166 million barrels
>     per day in May, which is a decrease from April
> of 0.148 million
>     barrels per day. The top five exporting
> countries accounted for 72
>     percent of United States crude oil imports in
> May and the top ten
>     sources accounted for approximately 87 percent
> of all U.S. crude oil
>     imports. [1]/
>
> The above source has a couple of nice charts showing
> both crude and
> petroleum imports, which I've chosen not to include
> here. There is also
> a set of links at the bottom of the page leading to
> more detailed
> reports on this and other related stuffs, both
> current and historical,
> in several formats for your munging pleasures.
>
> >Ironically Canada also has the most to gain from
> global warming. Think about it, all that fozen
> Arctic tundra becomes habitable.
> >
> Habitable, perhaps, but arable, largely not. There
> is this thing in
> Canadia called the 'Laurentian Shield,' or
> 'Laurentian Plateau,' which
> [...]

Hi Elias,

You make a good point about fluctuations in current
month to month imports. In the long run however,
Canada represents the most stable and plentiful source
of oil for the U.S.

Canada is politically stable and the oil sands as
opposed to conventional sources are not subject to the
same decline rates as conventional oil wells. If you
have not already, and I suspect you have, look into
"Hubbard's peak".

As for top soil, once temperatures in Florida and
Texas average 130 F, we suspect that they will no
longer have any need for their top soil and will
gladly sell it to us before the wind blows it away. We
can cart it away in those same monster trucks they are
using to mine the oil sands in Alberta.

I knew I said to much when I started talking about the
President. ;)

Albert