[FoRK] Anything to be learned from religion?

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Wed Aug 10 15:33:31 PDT 2005

Among the most interesting socio-cultural myths I've ever peeked at
are the Haida and other tribes of the Pacific Northwest Coast.

By anthropomorphizing creatures, and using those creatures to
represent the forces of nature, they explained the complex ecosystem
around them to later generations using a complex web of lore, often
with the Raven at the centre, with great accuracy.  While in their
culture there is no specific central god figure this embodiment is
much like the Greek, except that it portrays a much richer and deeper
understanding of the interactions between the people, the animals
sharing their world, and the forces of nature which affect them.

These tales were passed on through beautiful art works and a rich
oral heritage, like this tale, which has likely changed little over
millennia:

     http://www.eldrbarry.net/rabb/rvn/r_tide.htm

Read between the lines and there is a great deal to be learned from
this explanation of tides, etc.

I think it's their ingrained understanding of their ecosystem that
was a major contributor to their survival and their flourishing
culture, right up until they met their first stupid white man in the
1770s.

Even more important is that, Unlike modern America, issues of Church
and State were separate.  Even this early society maintained social
order by separating their set of beliefs from their social
hierarchy.  Their Chiefs were administrators and their position was
largely maintained within a hierarchy driven by wealth and influence
-- not religion.  And since their set of beliefs were so woven into
daily life there was no need to "worship" in a church.  Most of their
tales of figures like the Raven and the Wild Woman were moral
epithets to guide socially-responsible behaviour -- including
environmental responsibility.

These were exchanged by elders to children, and the central building
of each village was a Long House (often ornately carved) which was a
place for the community to gather and celebrate their tradition of
Potlatch (where we get the word "Pot Luck") which entailed a
staggering redistribution of wealth and goods within the community.

It's a shame that they're one of the most poorly studied peoples in
the world, probably due to the fact that their contact was so late
and that their decline and disintegration post-contact was so rapid.
Like us, the peoples of this region had lots of wars -- but mostly
after they began trading with Europe.

-Ian.