[FoRK] Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Elias Sinderson elias
Thu Aug 11 08:29:25 PDT 2005

Corinna wrote:

>If you want to make science compete with religion

The competition is over, science won. What are we currently witnessing?
Simply grudge matches to humor the sorest of losers. Fortunately for
science, there is this thing called 'reality', which pretty much ensures
repeat performances of those which occurred over the last several
hundreds of years.

>science needs to [...] provide answers with meaning

Science will provide answers, of that much we can be certain. Also
certain is that the meaning is solely our own - bring as much as you
want to the table, there cannot be enough.

>promote a sense of unity with the world

I'm not sure you can find a clearer sense of this than *understanding*
how the world works. . . The experience you related with your child is
beautiful; at her age there is no reason to be apart from the world, for
it is most natural for us to simply be in and of it.

>people tend to think of science as cold, uncaring, and empty.

Blame the teachers and the modern school think. Seriously.
Traditionally, science has always been about engaging in the world in
order to better understand it and ourselves. There is nothing more warm,
caring or full of meaning to be found.

As a side note, all religions arose out of a basic desire to understand
and put meaning to the world, or more specifically, the cosmos. A
cultures cosmology, recapitulated in oral traditions and refined over
countless generations, becomes its' religion. Probably the most terrible
thing to ever happen to religion was writing because it terminated this
coevolutionary dance of human culture and created religous artifacts
(the books). Subsequently, worship of the artifacts effectively eclipsed
worship of the experience (being in and of the world) and now the
experience of the devine is largely mediated through religious
institutions. Seems like we got a pretty raw deal with that one. . .

Anyway, antiquated belief systems are just that - they should be shed
like old skin.

Regards,
Elias