[FoRK] Re: Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Corinna schultz
Thu Aug 11 10:28:05 PDT 2005

"Elias Sinderson" <elias at cse.ucsc.edu> wrote in message
news:42FB6ED0.7060901 at cse.ucsc.edu...
> Corinna wrote:
>
> >If you want to make science compete with religion
> >
> The competition is over, science won. What are we currently witnessing?
> Simply grudge matches to humor the sorest of losers.

I agree. However, it would be nice if we could speed the process of making
the losers admit it, and move on.  I should have written, "If you want to
make science compete with religion in people's "hearts and minds"..."

Culturally, science has won, now, if only reason and evidence could win,
too...  Most of Christianity in America has become more modern, more
"liberal" in its interpretation of the Bible and the church's role in
society.  Much of what we see that is labeled "Christian" is old-school,
turn-of-the-20th-century flavored fundamentalism. People like James Dobson,
etc, represent only a minority of Christians. They just happen to be very
loud.

Personally, from my limited experience and study, I think most people who
are Christian derive aesthetic and social rewards from it. Once the logic of
Christianity was broken for me, I personally decided that it would violate
my integrity to claim I believe in a religion when its only true value was
social and aesthetic. What about truth? Nobody seems to care about truth
anymore, even Christians....

Look at the history of the debate about the shroud of Turin. Nobody wanted
to know the truth, even among the scientists who studied it....

-Corinna