Fwd: Re: [FoRK] Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Regina Schuman rschuman
Thu Aug 11 15:29:16 PDT 2005

>>> Regina Schuman 8/11/2005 6:34:45 PM >>>
<This strange link between coat color and temperament stems from a
relationship between pigment production, hormones, and neurochemistry.
It is not the case that coat color causes a difference in temperament,
but rather that certain physiological processes underlie facets of both
coat color and behavior. In particular, the hormones and
neurotransmitters involved in the stress response and other behaviors
are closely integrated with pigment production.

For example, the neurotransmitter dopamine and the hormones
noradrenaline and adrenaline, which are involved in the stress response,
have the same biochemical precursor as the melanin pigments (Anonymous
1971, Ferry and Zimmerman 1964). In addition, dopamine directly
influences pigment production by binding to the pigment-producing cells
(Burchill et al. 1986). Dopamine indirectly influences pigment
production by inhibiting pituitary melanotropin, also known as
melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH), which is responsible for
stimulating pigment cells to produce pigment (Tilders and Smelik
1978).>

http://www.ratbehavior.org/CoatColor.htm

and

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/02.17/11-foxy.html

Anyway, this goes to the intentionality of taming of (or self-taming
by) wolves.  Does intent matter?  Not really.

>>> "Strata R. Chalup" <strata at virtual.net> 8/11/2005 6:04:29 PM >>>

You might be interested (if you like speculative SF) to read Robert
Sawyer's
'Neanderthal Parallax' trilogy.  (Hominids, Humans, and Hybrids)

Some physics handwaving of decent respectability is used to explain a
parallel
dimension portal which allows the author to examine an earth on which
neanderthals, rather than homo-sap, won the evolutionary race.  One of
the
points turns out to be a genetic component to religiosity, and whether
that
would be a good thing or a bad thing for a society, and whether finding
genetic component, or not, would prove or disprove anything about
religion (eg,
could a creator have PUT it there so that sentients would be prodded
into
inquiring in that direction, etc).

Covers a lot of arguments, and reasonably well-written.  Sawyer is no
Julian May
(whose prose complexity and referents to history, literature, and other
cultures
always make me feel both deeply respectful and painfully ignorant in
comparison), but he's not an 8th-grade-reader type either.

BTW, current advance thinking on the neanderthal/homo-sap front is kind
of
startling-- domestication/cooperation of humans BY wolves, leading in
turn to
human domestications of wolves (eg dogs).  Symbiotic relationship with
different
species was the key-- neanderthals did all the things we used to think
only
homo-sap did: family units, tribes, toolmaking, etc.  But they aren't
found
co-buried with wolf or dog skeletons.  Woo! Eeeeenteresting!

Franz de Waal's "the Ape & the Sushi Master" goes into this a bit, and
darned if
I can remember the name of the other book I was reading on the topic.
Bah.
That's why I save my library checkout lists, but no time to dig through
dead
tree strips right now.

SRC

Regina Schuman wrote:

> I thought religion sprang from self-awareness and our yearning to
> understand ourselves and our place in the cosmos.  I think the "why"
> question sueprcedes the "how" question and is best investigated by
> psychology and neuroscience.
>
> Ya know how there's a genetic link between tameness and color in
dogs?
> Might there is a genetic component to our - humankind's - godsearch?

> Corinna wrote:
>

>>If you want to make science compete with religion
>>

> The competition is over, science won. What are we currently
witnessing?

> Simply grudge matches to humor the sorest of losers. Fortunately for

> science, there is this thing called 'reality', which pretty much
> ensures
> repeat performances of those which occurred over the last several
> hundreds of years.
>

>>science needs to [...] provide answers with meaning
>>

> Science will provide answers, of that much we can be certain. Also
> certain is that the meaning is solely our own - bring as much as you

> want to the table, there cannot be enough.
>

>>promote a sense of unity with the world
>>

> I'm not sure you can find a clearer sense of this than
*understanding*