[FoRK] Re: Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Bill Humphries bill
Thu Aug 11 16:33:17 PDT 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> Then the majority of Christians need to get off their asses,
> because my impression is that the general Christian reaction to
> Dobson et al is like apologizing for the fact that their dog has
> its teeth sunk into your leg while not doing anything to get the
> dog off.

I've asked Christian friends, and the prototypical response has been:

 > Well, as a very religious leftie, I can only assume (aside from
the fact that people like Jim Wallis aren't gonna be allowed to speak
on Fox News) that the Christian religious left is restricted by our
Lord's warnings against self-righteous judgment of others. I am not
set up as a judge of people like Bauer, Dobson, Falwell, the LaHayes,
and so on; but I am confident that they will face a Judge who rulings
are righteous soon enough.

 > In the meantime: I will concentrate on trying to support and enact
good Christian principles in action, not going around imitating their
bad examples of "religious" bigotry and triumphalism.

 From http://www.livejournal.com/users/whumpdotcom/186320.html?
thread=544976#t544976

I don't think they are going to be able to get the dog to model good
behavior.

-- whump