[FoRK] Death by terrorism (was: on fear) (Out of Office)

Regina Schuman rschuman
Fri Aug 12 09:07:55 PDT 2005

I'll be out of the office Friday, August 12 and returning Monday, August
15.   If you need immediate assistance, please call Renie Levin at
394-5720 or e-mail her at rlevin at jfcsjax.org.

Thanks,
Geege Schuman

Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> [...] In terms of exposure to danger, crossing the street, taking the
> subway, and even eating are all far more likely, in my estimation, to
> kill you than an act of terrorism.

Taking a _very_ liberal interpretation of 'death by terrorism,' it
doesn't really make more than a blip on the radar screen (if that) when
compared to other dangers. Note that there is a significant difficulty
in compiling this sort of data, depending on what definitions you care
to use. Regardless of how liberal a stance you take, however, the
numbers are really small when compared to other, more casual, causes of
death. In fact, even if you use the broadest definitions possible, the
numbers pale in comparison to other figures. For example, a 1996 report
estimated that there are approzimately 7600 deaths per year due to NSAID

overdoses. . . Deaths in the US alone from adverse reactions to
prescription drugs, alcohol, car accidents, firearm accidents, etc. are
all significantly higher than the number of *worldwide* deaths from
terrorism. (I'll only mention tobacco parenthetically in an attempt to
avoid reigniting the 'nicotine leads to cancer' discussion but tobacco
related deaths in the US are several orders of magnitude higher than
worldwide terrorist related deaths, to say nothing about worldwide
tobacco deaths, estimated to be in the /millions/.)

All of which simply begs the question: Why are we spending such a
disproportionate amount of money on 'The War on Terrorism'? Note that
the body count for coalition forces in Iraq is better than 2/3 the
number of people who dies in the WTC attacks, and even the most
conservative estimates of the number of civilian causualties in Iraq is
at least an order of magnitude higher. . . and if we include all of
these deaths into the 'death by terrorism' count (perhaps an absurd
interpretation, but allowed for the sake of argument), we still have a
number that pales in comparison to the estimated number of deaths in the

US related to poor diet and physical inactivity. Again, to say nothing
about tobacco. . .

Where is the 'War on Aspirin' or the 'War on AIDS'? The 'War on Cancer'?

'War on Poor Nutrition'? I tell you, our priorities seem pretty fucked
up. I often wonder how different the world would be if we had spent 400
billion dollars over the last four years on beneficient causes such as
providing clean drinking water and medical supplies to third world
nations or combating the spread of HIV in africa or converted a portion
of our armed forces to 'peace forces' that undertook public works
projects in developing nations. . . to say nothing of the countless
domestic issues that could benefit. . . Quite simply, the opportunity
costs associated with the 'War on Terrorism' are very troubling to say
the least.

Do have a look at some of the references below to get a sense of the
numbers, and consider where we should be putting all this eneregy.
Fighting and defending against terrorism seems a terrible waste when
compared to the other ills of the world.

Regards,
Elias

[1] 4 Decades of Worldwide Terrorism,
<http://www.afa.org/magazine/Feb2002/0202terror.asp>
[2] Patterns of Global Terrorism - Library - National Memorial Institute

for the Prevention of Terrorism,
<http://www.mipt.org/Patterns-of-Global-Terrorism.asp>
[3] Deaths in World Trade Center Terrorist Attacks,
<http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm51SPa6.htm>
[4] Terrorism Deaths in Israel - 1920-1999,
<http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/2000_2009/2000/1/Terrorism%20deaths%20in%20Israel%20-%201920-1999>
[5] Death rates from terrorism, USA and Israel,
<http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/terror_rate.html>
[6] National Center for Health Statistics - Leading Causes of Death,
<http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm>
[7] Causes of Death, <http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/causes.html>
[8] Drug War Fact: Annual Causes of Death in the United States,
<http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm>
[9] Patterns of Global Terrorism 2003 - Appendix G: Statistical Review,
<http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/library/report/2004/pgt_2003/pgt_2003_33777pf.htm>
[10] Casualties in Iraq, <http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/>
[11] Iraq Coalition Casualties, <http://icasualties.org/oif/>
[12] Worldwide trends in tobacco consumption and mortality,
<http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/tobacco/who-tobacco.htm>