[FoRK] Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Elias Sinderson elias
Fri Aug 12 12:35:06 PDT 2005

Regina Schuman wrote:

>I thought religion sprang from self-awareness and our yearning to
>understand ourselves and our place in the cosmos.

I think we're in violent agreement on this point. I said that religion
/"arose out of a basic desire to understand and put meaning to the
world, or more [generally], the cosmos."/ From where I stand, we are
part and parcel of the cosmos - understanding one entails understanding
the other. Sorry for not being more clear about that.  :-)

>I think the "why" question sueprcedes the "how" question and is best investigated by
>psychology and neuroscience.

Perhaps, but this may be more of a personal bias in the relative
importance of the two questions. I think it's an open question as to
whether we'll ever have a fundamental knowledge of 'why', but the 'how'
certainly seems tractable.

>Ya know how there's a genetic link between tameness and color in dogs?

Not until now. . .

>Might there is a genetic component to our - humankind's - godsearch?

Interesting question. Perhaps a more interesting question is what other
genetic traits it may be linked to. . .

Regards,
Elias