[FoRK] Death by terrorism

Damien Morton fork
Fri Aug 12 12:52:31 PDT 2005

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/default.asp?target=HTADA.HTM

August 10, 2005: Defense contractor Lockheed Martin, taking advantage of
the widespread fear of terrorist attack in the United States, has
proposed a billion dollar anti-missile defense system for the northeast
coast of the United States. Lockheed Martin believes  it is likely that
terrorists would use cargo ships as launching platforms for SCUD
missiles. Existing Patriot anti-aircraft missile technology would be
used to shoot down the SCUDs before they could hit any of the urban
areas from Boston to Washington. The latest version of Patriot has a
proven track record in knocking down SCUD type missiles. What?s
interesting about this proposal is that no terrorists have been known to
have obtained SCUD missiles, or seagoing cargo ships. Lockheed Martin
said it spent a year analyzing this problem.

It?s long been feared that terrorists, especially well financed ones,
could easily by older merchant ships (the ?tramp steamer? often featured
in fiction for over a century), and use them to set off a cargo of
explosives in a major American port. So far, no one has been able to
find terrorist owned cargo ships. Terrorist owned SCUD missiles are a
relatively new threat, and none of those has been uncovered either. But
you can?t be too careful, especially if there?s a chance you can get
another billion bucks out of Congress.