[FoRK] Oil at $66.86

Strata R. Chalup strata
Sun Aug 14 10:08:00 PDT 2005

That's a nicely hair-raising set of links.  The one which troubles me mightily,
especially added to your collection, is
http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/23/real_estate/update_new.dj/index.htm

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have been running wild for years, so various
forward-thinking politicians are trying to crack down them.  Problem is, there
are some indications of shaky accounting there already, discussed elsewhere
(maybe an Atlantic article? something I read about 3 - 6 months back).

The kind of oversight and investigation that this bill could trigger could start
a panic tumble.  Not to say there *shouldn't* be oversight and investigation,
and not saying anything about this bill in particular.  Merely observing that in
some ways this bill is like saying "We have a big paperwasp nest hanging here
that we're worried might fall down.  Let's start poking it with a stick
regularly to make sure it's still well-attached."

Oy.

I think I'll spend some of today learning to can tomatoes.

SRC