[FoRK] Re: Re: Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Corinna schultz
Mon Aug 15 09:34:05 PDT 2005

Well, the Christian religion *claims* to be able the truth.  Things like:
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."  Go talk to my
father sometime -- he'll talk to you about truth!  :)

Whether math is about the truth is still up for debate among mathemeticians
and philosophers.
After all, what is to be made of Godel's incompleteness theorem if math is
True?

I think people still debate the truth-ness of science, too.
(I'm not sure what you mean by Popperian science. Are you referring to
testable, falsifiable, etc?)

"Aidan Kehoe" <kehoea at parhasard.net> wrote in message
news:17147.42620.543368.602101 at parhasard.net...

 Ar an t-aonú lá déag de mí Lúnasa, scríobh Corinna:

 > [...] Personally, from my limited experience and study, I think most
 > people who are Christian derive aesthetic and social rewards from it.
 > Once the logic of Christianity was broken for me, I personally decided
 > that it would violate my integrity to claim I believe in a religion when
 > its only true value was social and aesthetic. What about truth? Nobody
 > seems to care about truth anymore, even Christians....

Popperian science doesn't care about truth, either. Which is fine.

Maths is truth. Everything else is only the best model we have for the
phenomenon at the moment.