[FoRK] nice hack to attempt to verify yahoo archive size claim

Luis Villa luis.villa
Mon Aug 15 13:00:12 PDT 2005

On 8/15/05, Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote on 8/15/2005 11:39 AM:
> > A few weeks ago, Yahoo claimed that they were indexing twice as many
> > pages as google, which would be pretty cool if true. These guys:
>
> There is only one metric that matters...
>
> ... Is the first page of results all ads ...
>
> Both Yahoo and Google have moved well into the multi-page YES answer to
> that metric. So what is the new search engine out there that isn't just
> a glorified newspaper classifieds section? Google is dead, long live what?

I'm not one of the 'google is the greatest thing ever' people, but I
don't think it has changed search results layout much in several
years, and in comparison, on a 1024x768 screen with one smart toolbar
and one row of tabs, yahoo's results are still in the *bottom third*
of the screen for me. I do like their (new?) 'also try...' thing,
though.

Luis