[FoRK] Re: Re: Re: Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Corinna schultz
Mon Aug 15 15:10:07 PDT 2005

What I'm getting at is if mathemeticians can (historically, that is -- I'm
not sure if they still are) be deeply and profoundly disturbed at the mere
thought that no formal system can contain all true statements about itself
(at least, I think that's what Godel  implies... :| )  then doesn't it lend
weight to metaphysics, to suppose that there is truth (little t) outside of
known reality?  I'm not sure I want to believe that :)

Tell me where I went wrong, here...

I'm one of those people who hold that math is a useful model of reality,
something people created in order to better understand, use, and control
small pieces of reality.

-Corinna

news:BAY107-F24C6E5EE54D9D31B4238EABCB10 at phx.gbl...