[FoRK] nice hack to attempt to verify yahoo archive size claim

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn
Tue Aug 16 05:57:55 PDT 2005

On Aug 16, 2005, at 12:04 AM, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

> Do you think the death of PageRank is due to the growth of the web?
>
> I have a feeling that it's got far more to do with people beginning
> to understand how PageRank works and gaming the system as a result.

A mixture of both. Computationally, PageRank is expensive even if you
optimise by discounting less popular sites (which then causes skew in
the results), and relevancy there also suffers as the number of pages
increases.

I heave heard of some people that have some large number of 'sites'
that are used to game the system by adding links to all sites at
once, but there are ways of getting around that.

There are obvious ways to solve these problems... I've been casually
shopping an idea around for a while now.