[FoRK] Re: what IT shortage?

Adam L Beberg beberg
Tue Aug 16 11:33:15 PDT 2005

Corinna wrote on 8/16/2005 5:34 AM:
> I'm referring to a shortage within the US. H1B visas are where foreign tech
> workers are given permission to work in the US.  Here's an example:
> http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050815/BUSINESS/508150304/1003/SPORTS

I know. HP just sent 15,000 jobs (NOT including contractors) to costa
rica, india, and other places. That alone should free up plenty of IT
people right? ;) No more shortage, yay.

> It's a tough, competitive business. If given the choice between a seasoned
> IT veteran laid off from a position in which he worked for 10 years and who
> has not updated his skills, and a recent H-1B tech graduate from Bangalore,
> New Delhi, Bombay or Calcutta, Prasad said, he would go for the latter.

Fact is, both need to learn the 47 systems your company is using anyway,
so what skills they have already is almost irrelivant. I don't think
I've ever gotten a job where I already knew 1/2 of the patchwork of
different things they did, but always was up to speed in a couple weeks.

The fact that one costs an order of magnitude less then the other has
far more to do with it. Not to mention the veteran is over 30 - the
manditory retirement age for tech. 30 = has kids (life != work), costly
to insure, and unwilling to work 80 hour weeks.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/