[FoRK] from the latest ACM newsletter

Adam L Beberg beberg
Wed Aug 17 14:29:57 PDT 2005

Bill Stoddard wrote on 8/17/2005 2:01 PM:
> This concern about boomers leaving the workforce en masse is almost cliche.
> The big suprise, imho, will be the number of boomers who choose hang around
> and not retire, mostly out of necessity.

Based on the savings rate that the boomers have, mostly because they
were promised that social security would take care of them, the idea of
boomers retiring en mass is amusing if not downright silly.

But they have always done a really good job of keeping this massive
transfer of wealth from all future generations to theirs under the
radar, otherwise the young would vote in HUGE numbers, and overthrow
every last one of the avg 55 yr old congress critters demanding they
stop bankrupting the country. We live in a gerontocracy, which while it
has it's advantages of stability and inability to use computers thus
sparing it from viruses, makes forward progress nearly impossible.

But karma is sweet. Those grumpy old critters are gonna keep stem cell
research from happing, thus making sure they do in fact die off soon.
Too bad they intend to take the economy with them.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/