[FoRK] evidence of republican split #37 (Frist & "Justice Sunday II") (Frist == Nazi)

Joe Barrera joe
Wed Aug 17 15:12:34 PDT 2005

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/15/AR2005081501281.html?referrer=email>

'In announcing his decision, Frist said he was acutely aware of the
moral dilemmas posed by his stand: "I am pro-life. . . . An embryo is
nascent human life. It's genetically distinct. And it's biologically
human. It's living. This position is consistent with my faith."

'But Frist contended: "It isn't just a matter of faith. It's a fact of
science. . . . Cure today may be just a theory, a hope, a dream. But the
promise is powerful enough that I believe this research deserves our
increased energy and focus. Embryonic stem cell research must be
supported."'

Possible Frist '08 Bid Splits Religious Right
Absent Senator the Talk of 'Justice Sunday'

By Thomas B. Edsall
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, August 16, 2005; Page A02

NASHVILLE, Aug. 15 -- Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) was
not present at Justice Sunday II, a televised gathering of major
religious leaders in his home state to promote the Supreme Court
nomination of John G. Roberts Jr., but he was on everyone's mind.

Just over two weeks ago, the prospective presidential candidate alarmed
some leaders of the Christian right when he broke ranks with President
Bush to announce support of expanded embryonic stem cell research, a
stand viewed in many quarters of the antiabortion movement as permitting
the taking of a human life.

Some religious leaders who spoke here were prepared to forgive Frist or
to grant him the benefit of the doubt. Others, however, warned that he
had crossed an important moral boundary and would face political
consequences.

Until his July 29 speech on the Senate floor, Frist had been viewed as a
solid ally of religious conservatives, building his likely presidential
candidacy on a strategy of securing a solid base of support on the
right. Frist had been the featured speaker at Justice Sunday I, calling
for an end to filibusters of judicial nominees, but he did not attend
Sunday's event.

Every winner of the Republican presidential nomination since Ronald
Reagan in 1980 has had significant support from social conservatives,
won in large measure by embracing stands acceptable to antiabortion
groups. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who denounced the religious right
during his bid for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination, was
defeated that year by George W. Bush, who had worked hard to cultivate
social conservatives.

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council and the leading
organizer of Justice Sunday II, said: "I have a lot of respect for
Senator Frist. We disagree with him on one issue, but it's a big issue.
. . . I would not write him off; I would just say it will be very
difficult to get support from the pro-life community. This is a big
issue to disagree on, [but] it certainly does not end our friendship."

Perkins said Frist was not invited to Justice Sunday II because House
Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) was chosen for star billing, not
because of Frist's stand on stem cell research. Other religious leaders
here, speaking not for attribution, said they viewed the decision not to
invite Frist to a major event in his home state as a pointed snub.

James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, who spoke by video to the
Justice Sunday II assembly, has steadily escalated his criticism of
Frist, comparing his stand on embryonic stem cell research to Nazi
experimentation on human subjects during WWII.

"The Nazis experimented on human beings in horrible ways in the
concentration camps, and I imagine, if you wanted to take the time to
read about it, there would have been some discoveries there that
benefited mankind," he said on his radio show last week. "You remove
ethics and morality, and you get what happened in Nazi Germany." Then,
specifically addressing Frist, Dobson said, "there's a higher order of
ethics here."

Coming to Frist's defense, the Rev. Jerry Sutton, pastor of Two Rivers
Baptist Church, where Justice Sunday II was held, said the senator was
making a different argument: "Instead of discarding all these embryos
that are going to be discarded anyway, let's use them. Now, he is
pro-life and, and he believes that the overall idea of unrestricted
embryonic stem cell research is wrong. I know Bill, and if he ran for
president and we sat down and talked, I could be very supportive of Bill
Frist for president."

Similarly, Ted Haggard, president of the National Association of
Evangelicals, said he believes that the fertilized embryo is "a human
life," but "this abortion debate is an authentic discussion, embryonic
stem cell research is an authentic debate, when to end a human life is
an authentic debate." Haggard said he has occasionally supported "people
who have been pro-choice."

--
Having scored a trillion dollars, made a run back home
Found him slumped across the table; a gun and me alone