[FoRK] Re: Re: Re: Anything to be learned from religion?

Eugen Leitl eugen
Sun Aug 21 08:55:07 PDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 10:02:46AM -0400, Jeffrey Winter wrote:

> >> Remove the anthromorphism implicit in the question, and it unasks
> itself.
>
> I'm not sure I know what this even means.  Are you suggesting that the
> question
> goes away if there's no one to ask it?

There are many implicits in "Why is there something instead of nothing".
It implies causality (cause precedes effect), and beginning of time, and
presence of an observer, just for starters. All of these are pretty arbitrary
properties of this particular spacetime neighbourhood, at this time of the
year.

If there are many *things, and most of them are nothings, the nothings
are not observable by virtue of observer absence. If all or nearly all
spacetimes exist you need a lot less magic to explain this one.

If metauniverse has no beginning, nor causality, the whole question is
meaningless. First cause, my arse.

The whole thing is very much angelic choreography on a pinhead demographics,
and "can Allah create a rock he can't lift"-isms, as well as what-are-we-
where-are-we-coming-from-where-are-going (who's the originator of these particular
moronic bits?).