[FoRK] U.S. Officially Surrenders in Iraq, Launches Civil War

Luis Villa luis.villa
Sun Aug 21 10:18:21 PDT 2005

On 8/21/05, B.K. DeLong <bkdelong at pobox.com> wrote:
> At 07:15 PM 8/20/2005, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> >It's over. Iraq joins Iran in theocracy and repression, again. Women
> >re-chained to their kitchen sink, Jews killed on sight. Civil war is
> >now a certainty. Try to look surprised (I know it's hard to do).
> >
> >Aren't you glad 1,800 Americians died for their "freedom".
> >
> >====================
> >
> >U.S. concedes ground to Islamists on Iraqi law
> >
> >By Luke Baker and Michael GeorgySat Aug 20, 2:30 PM ET
>
> What's the source of this article? Have a URL?

WaPo has basically the same here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/20/AR2005082001202.html

"The working draft of the constitution stipulates that no law can
contradict Islamic principles. In talks with Shiite religious parties,
Kurdish negotiators said they have pressed unsuccessfully to limit the
definition of Islamic law to principles agreed upon by all groups. The
Kurds said current language in the draft would subject Iraqis to
extreme interpretations of Islamic law.

Kurds also contend that provisions in the draft would allow Islamic
clerics to serve on the high court, which would interpret the
constitution. That would potentially subject marriage, divorce,
inheritance and other civil matters to religious law and could harm
women's rights, according to the Kurdish negotiators and some women's
groups."