[FoRK] Stalking Bush

Karl Anderson kra
Thu Aug 25 12:17:27 PDT 2005

"J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> writes:

> On 8/24/05 7:37 PM, "Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK)" <fork at ianbell.com> wrote:
> > This is absolutely brilliant as a potential long-term anti-war / anti-
> > Bush campaign, if the mothers can get enough financial backing to
> > follow him around everywhere he goes.
>

> I disagree.  People who care would be foolish to throw their dollars down
> that toilet.  The right-wing opposition has been effective in making it
> clear that these people are the tools of the left-wing at a minimum, in no
> small part due to the zealous support of the left-wing, sometimes the
> blatantly extreme left-wing.
>
> There is something to be said for subtlety, but the Democrats (and this is a
> Democrat operation, no matter how it is dressed up) try to drive messages
> home with the incessant sledgehammer blows -- all they are doing is giving
> people headaches.  People who are sufficiently annoyed are impervious to the
> power of repetition.

Regardless of whether a lose for the current leader is a win for the
opposing party, enough of this kind of ruckus is a still a lose for
its target.  Here in Oregon, Packwood's career was effectively stomped
out because he couldn't show his face in public anymore.  More
recently, Cheney's visits to Portland are now to hotels on the
outskirts of town, with a secured zone between the airport and the
meeting room.  He can't go near downtown.  This isn't going to stop
the war by itself, but it's effective part because it raises the cost
of doing business.

--
Karl Anderson      kra at monkey.org      http://monkey.org/~kra/