[FoRK] Australia to require maritime ID card at its ports

Adam L Beberg beberg
Fri Aug 26 14:09:16 PDT 2005

Russell Turpin wrote on 8/26/2005 8:39 AM:
> Fortunately, they're
> making some allowance for minor crimes. "The criteria that
> disqualify an applicant for a maritime card will not include
> offences relating to assault or armed robbery because,
> according to one senior government official, it would mean
> 'we would probably lose 20 per cent of the workforce'."

While I wont even start on all the Australian history jokes, this does
bring up a more serious problem...

Security jobs are boring, low paying, almost skill-less jobs. They are
also in a class of jobs you can only get via nepotism. In short, they
are really really shitty jobs, in every sense.

And these are the "front line" troops protecting us from the bad guys.

Much as school teachers are the front line troops in the long term war
for technological superiority. Also a low paid job, but with 3 months
off for summer.

Meanwhile, the richest and most powerful, are the lawyers and CEOs
running and defending corrupt corporations, polluting, stealing, and
scamming, making easily 500 times the average worker.

Shows you where our priorities are, and which wars we are sure to lose.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/