[FoRK] Web services brokering and transformation proposal from Apache

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Mon Aug 29 14:56:15 PDT 2005

On 8/29/05, Strata R. Chalup <strata at virtual.net> wrote:

> After reading this, I actually had to go re-read it again, twice, to make sure
> that 'CORBA' didn't appear in it anywhere.  It just seemed to flash before my
> eyes somehow.

Put better than I could....

It seems that there's a recurring anti-pattern -- if it's good to hook
up several "things" to something else, then it's better to hook up
many things to many other things, that a single system can mediate
between anything and everything in a fully orthogonal fashion.

A2E tools usually fail, as far as I can recall, if only because one
thing to another thing tools (or many things to one thing tools) tend
to be cheaper, faster, and easier, and the A2E vendors have to go
after seriously knotted and tangled problems that may be complicated
for more than technical reasons -- the easier problems (the kind you
make money on...) can be handled by simpler tools.

 Example: LDAP and SQL to COM objects might be a good idea, but a tool
that can expose COM objects via LDAP as well as all of the other
permutations probably isn't.

Ken Meltsner