[FoRK] Web services brokering and transformation proposal from Apache

Strata R. Chalup strata
Mon Aug 29 15:42:10 PDT 2005

Thanks.

FWIW, as far as I can tell CORBA didn't fail because the idea was inherently
bad, it failed because once the idea started to take off, none of the companies
funding development wanted any of the others to get a competitive advantage.

So the protocol wars were fought based on who was furthest along with a working
implementation, who had which features which would need rolling into a shared
build, who is embracing-n-extending the mostest, etc.  I suppose its possible
that the Apache proposal might succeed because it would be implemented as a
STANDARD, whereas it took ages to simply agree on what was going to be in CORBA,
and folks broke away from the main body with splinter implementations almost
immediately.

It would be good if the anti-pattern-ness could be defeated by Apache's
blessing, but I have my doubts.  Meta-libraries seem to succeed better than
applications or services.  I think the Perl DBI libs are an example of that.

SRC