[FoRK] Study says coffee delivers more health benefits than fruit and veg

Sebastian Hassinger shassinger
Tue Aug 30 05:48:18 PDT 2005

Don't want to pop your caffeinated bubble of glee, but this article is
the worst kind of statistical tomfoolery. The study actually included
100 foods & beverages in the average american diet and measured how
much of each the average american eats. Then it calculated the
antioxidants from each *based on consumption.*

"Coffee emerged as easily the biggest source of antioxidants, taking
account of the amount per serving and level of consumption. Black tea
came second, followed by bananas, dry beans and corn."

There's no mention of ranking those 100 foods in absolute terms, from
the best source of antioxidants on down. In other words, while many
types of fresh vegetable might be splendid sources of antioxidants,
the average american doesn't eat enough of them to make a difference.