[FoRK] Re: Katrina - National Guard??

Corinna schultz
Wed Aug 31 05:38:40 PDT 2005

Maybe it's me, since I don't watch TV, and I've been tied up in meetings the
last couple of days, and I messed something, but the coverage I heard on NPR
seems to indicate that there are volunteers, Red Cross people, and "rescue
workers" on the scene.  No mention of the National Guard.  Is there no
National Guard left in Luisiana?  Will Bush get fallout for this?

Once people realized that the hurricane was Cat 5, all sorts of people
should have been on standby, ready to rush in as soon as the storm passed.
It seems as though only the city-level people (mayor, emergency personnel,
etc) were prepared.  I thought they had emergency plans for the case of the
levess breaking. People shouldn't have to be trapped in the superdome.

Or maybe I missed something since I've been under a rock the last couple of
days...

-Corinna
P.S.  I was on the road last night, saw that local gas prices had jumped
from 2.55 to 3.00, and I thought, "man, I should have filled the truck a
couple of days ago." This morning I took my truck out to get filled since it
was near empty, and got to the corner gas station just as they were changing
the price from 2.56 to 3.09, but they hadn't reprogrammed the computer yet.
Yea!  The early bird saves $5.00!

"Robert Harley" <robert.harley at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:bfcef10405082815485e4457f3 at mail.gmail.com...
Is it my imagination or on Friday were people saying that the spike in
oil prices on fears of Katrina hurting production in the Gulf of
Mexico were unwarranted because it was only category 2, going on for
3, but would weaken at landfall around the Florida panhandle?
Now it's a whopper and Exxon, Chevron, BP, Royal Dutch etc are
evacuating rigs as fast as they can.  Hope the bayous are still there
when it's passed.