[FoRK] Re: Katrina - National Guard??

Luis Villa luis.villa
Wed Aug 31 06:05:55 PDT 2005

On 8/31/05, Luis Villa <luis.villa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/05, Corinna <schultz at harlingen.isd.tenet.edu> wrote:
> > Maybe it's me, since I don't watch TV, and I've been tied up in meetings the
> > last couple of days, and I messed something, but the coverage I heard on NPR
> > seems to indicate that there are volunteers, Red Cross people, and "rescue
> > workers" on the scene.  No mention of the National Guard.  Is there no
> > National Guard left in Luisiana?  Will Bush get fallout for this?
>
> Appears to be quite a bit of guard left on scene; supposedly 60% of
> the state's guard is still in state.

And also worth noting that I have to assume that all existing plans to
get supplies and people into the city presumed either functional
highways or functional airports. New Orleans has neither of those
right now, though they suggested last night that they might be able to
dry and clear one runway soon.

Luis