[FoRK] Re: Study says coffee delivers more health benefits than fruitand veg

Corinna schultz
Wed Aug 31 06:12:45 PDT 2005

Cranberries and bananas are up there in terms of content by weight. Health
articles need to be read very carefully. You'd think journalists are
deliberately out to obfuscate scientific conclusions...

Quote from the article:
But Prof Vinson urged moderation, recommending that people drink only **one
or two cups per day**. He added: "Unfortunately, consumers are still not
eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an
overall nutritional point of view."

A spokesman for the British Coffee Association said: "This study reconfirms
the fact that moderate coffee consumption of **four to five cups a day** not
only is perfectly safe but may confer health benefits."

"Sebastian Hassinger" <shassinger at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:962e71b405083005484e828d0f at mail.gmail.com...
Don't want to pop your caffeinated bubble of glee, but this article is
the worst kind of statistical tomfoolery. The study actually included
100 foods & beverages in the average american diet and measured how
much of each the average american eats. Then it calculated the
antioxidants from each *based on consumption.*

"Coffee emerged as easily the biggest source of antioxidants, taking
account of the amount per serving and level of consumption. Black tea
came second, followed by bananas, dry beans and corn."

There's no mention of ranking those 100 foods in absolute terms, from
the best source of antioxidants on down. In other words, while many
types of fresh vegetable might be splendid sources of antioxidants,
the average american doesn't eat enough of them to make a difference.

On 8/29/05, Strata R. Chalup <strata at virtual.net> wrote:

> w00t!
>
> Not to mention the health benefits to *others* for those of us who don't
cope
> well with limiting our coffee intake.  :-)
>
> SRC
>
> Robert Harley wrote:
>
> > Sweetness!
> >
> > http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1857962005

----
> > COFFEE is likely to contribute far more health-giving anti-oxidants
> > to the British diet than fruit and vegetables, new research suggests.
> >
> > The evidence comes from the United States, where scientists measured
> > the antioxidant content of more than 100 items, including vegetables,
> > fruits, nuts, spices, oils and beverages.
> >
> > Coffee emerged as easily the biggest source of antioxidants, taking
> > account of the amount per serving and level of consumption. Black tea
> > came second, followed by bananas, dry beans and corn.
> >
> > "Americans get more of their antioxidants from coffee than any other
> > dietary source - nothing else comes close," [...]
----

> > Hopefully this applies to espresso as well as flavoured milk from
Starbucks
> > or drip sock-juice.

> --

Sebastian Hassinger