[FoRK] Re: Katrina - National Guard??

Luis Villa luis.villa
Wed Aug 31 06:34:44 PDT 2005

On 8/31/05, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Luis Villa:
> >.. one can only go so far in pre-game planning when dealing with 50-100
> >year storms.
>
> Category 4 and 5 hurricanes are now annual occurrences
> in the gulf.

And this is the first time in 100 years they've hit a uniquely exposed
location. There are really only two that I know of- the southern keys
and new orleans.

Doesn't matter anyway- even if one accepts that a category five
hitting new orleans is a monthly event, there is nothing that can
reasonably be done to protect NO and the keys except put a big sign up
that says 'so long, thanks for all the gumbo|conch fritters' and move
everyone out permanently. No evacuation plan can be devised that is
100% effective for that many people, and no reasonable recovery
planning can handle the loss of all highways and all airports.

Luis