[FoRK] Google Talk

Strata R. Chalup strata
Wed Aug 31 08:15:11 PDT 2005

That's very interesting, Reza.  I'm wondering if there'd be a sweet spot in
prepping a system to work entirely with Globish[0] and ignoring colloquial
English entirely.  Some of the folks who operate in Globish represent
technologically sophisticated users with real buying power who have a weak spot
with spoken English.  Being able to transcribe to written English would be a
real feature for this market, and limiting the vocabulary ought to improve
recognition.

I know one can't dictate that a voicemail caller 'stick to the script' and not
use non-Globish.  Proper names are generally intractable, for instance (although
just adding text caller-ID to voicemail would make life SO much easier!).  But
if the system were advertised for Globish or International English
transcription, not colloquial, it might gain traction.

cheers,
Strata

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globish