[FoRK] Google Talk

Sebastian Hassinger shassinger
Wed Aug 31 08:15:12 PDT 2005

Thanks for the reply, Reza - I'm glad to hear someone's working on
this - as I've said I've often wondered why such a service didn't
exist.
BTW, I work at IBM and have in the past had dealings with the speech
reco teams (marketing, development and research) around IVR and call
center offerings, as well as the IBM team currently working on the
Voice XML browser. I have asked this question (i.e. converting
voicemails & conf calls to text transcripts) of many people I've run
into within these groups. You are the first person to admit the
technology is not up to the task.

The thing I've never understood - if your source is not "real time" -
e.g. a voicemail - can't you devote orders of magnitude more cycles to
transcribing it to text than in "real time" applications (e.g.
dictation)? Wouldn't that allow for more elaborate fitness testing of
recognition based on linguistic and grammatical rules, and therefore
drive the accuracy rate up?