[FoRK] Why do people loot when the city is dying?

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Wed Aug 31 11:34:11 PDT 2005

As recently as 1997 I was aware that the New Orleans police dept.
were the lowest-paid city cops in America, with starting salaries
below $18,000.00.  When you're paying cops below the poverty line and
below the wages of some private security guards, you're not exactly
recruiting Boy Scouts.

The NOPD was the subject of rampant corruption in the early-to-mid
1990s and instigated a house-cleaning effort from 1995-1999.  New
Orleans is, however, a very poor city.  Even today the starting
salary is only $29K (with a three year contract requirement) and
they're churning more experienced cops to bigger cities.

You get what you pay for.

-Ian.