[FoRK] Why do people loot when the city is dying?

Regina Schuman rschuman
Wed Aug 31 12:03:48 PDT 2005

A CNN reporter said yesterday that what he saw was more indicative of
people looking for food and other essentials than looting. He saw a lot
of people handing off what they "looted" (food, water and blankets) to
others waiting in a line.

"We distort, you decide."

On a really horrid note: this morning CNN interviewing a policeman in
Slidell, who said (I swear) that as soon as he finished with the
interview he was going to check on his 80-YEAR OLD BLIND NEIGHBOR WHO
MIGHT STILL BE ALIVE.  The interview continued leisurely for another
five minutes, perhaps while the elderly blind man struggled for his last
breath.  As the report concluded, the CNN reporter said "Hey!  Can my
camera man follow you while you look for your neighbor?"

give us (dead and) dirty laundry.

At 01:24 PM 8/31/2005, Corinna wrote:
>... including the cops...
>
>http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001051313

>  "The police got all the best stuff. They're crookeder than us," one
man
>said. Most officers, though, simply stood by powerless against the
tide of
>law breakers.
>
>One veteran officer said, "It's like this everywhere in the city. This
tiny
>number of cops can't do anything about this. It's wide open."
>
>Some groups, the reporters wrote, "organized themselves into assembly
lines
>to more efficiently cart off goods. Inside the store, one woman was
stocking
>up on make-up. She said she took comfort in watching police load up
their
>own carts. 'It must be legal,' she said. 'The police are here taking
stuff,
>too.'"

I thought this was interesting:

This is interesting:

Looting is perhaps the most expected behavior subsequent to a disaster
and
probably the most misreported post disaster event. Surveys indicate
(Quarantelli) that 70-90 percent of people in a disaster will hear
unsubstantiated stories about looting. After the Oakland Hills fire,
one TV
station reported looting, another reported on the lack of looting. I
was
able to inspect one burnt out neighborhood and found that there wasn't
much
to take. The relatively few instances of looting that does occur
involve
articles of little value and are usually committed by non-local
security
forces. Similar to price gouging, the media shares much of the blame
for
this misinformation. According to Fischer, national and network
reporters
construct news stories that conform to their perception of what
normally
occurs after a disaster instead of researching facts. Keep in mind
that
much of news reporting is entertainment focused. If it is reported by
and
media and believed by the public, local leaders must take steps to
respond
to it, real or perceived, lending credibility to the assumption that
looting is pervasive. The incidence of looting (and other post
disaster
crime) is often misrepresented by those who have something to sell or
philosophical reason for you to believe in the impending breakdown of
the
social order. One survivalist web site claims that 'of the hundreds of
victims that I have dealt with [after Hugo], most had lost something
looters. During Hurricane Andrew, looting was common place and accepted
as
a way of life. One victim from an upper class neighborhood told me "I
was
shunned by my neighbors because I rejected an offer to cruise for
goods."
Substantiated cases of looting after Hurricane Georges: 0.
Substantiated
cases of looting after Hurricane Andrew: probably 0.

One of our duties as continuity planners is to educate and manage the
expectations of the 'masses.' Misinformation has caused people to drown
in
a storm surge trying to protect their property from potential looting.
It
has caused innocent victims and family members to be killed or injured
by
firearms. Important sociological and victimization theories do not
change -
persons are still more likely to be injured by an intimate partner
(48%),
family member (32%), than by a stranger (20%). Next time we have the
opportunity to advise the public or coworkers, ensure it is from a
position
of knowledge and not mythology.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:VySZqrBxX7IJ:www.all-hands.net/pn/modules.php%3Fop%3Dmodload%26name%3DNews%26file%3Darticle%26sid%3D17+%22looting+after+hurricane%22&hl=en&client=firefox-a

When you need to communicate, Ink Works!
http://www.inkworkswell.com
+1 (727) 942-9255