[FoRK] Re: Katrina - National Guard??

Strata R. Chalup strata
Wed Aug 31 12:15:31 PDT 2005

Some things never change.

During our visit to the Keys in early 2003, Mike and I stopped at a memorial[0]
site for the passenger train[1] that was shuttling women and children to
'safety' during the Labor Day hurricane[2] of 1935.  It's not well-known outside
of FL, except to railfans like my husband.

SRC

Quote from [1]:

"On September 2, 1935, with a hurricane close by and heading for the Keys, a
locomotive and several baggage cars were assembled for the race against time. In
Homestead, the engineer decided to move the locomotive to the rear of the train
. This would allow a faster escape from the Keys. Waves were already washing
over the tracks as the train approached Islamorada. As soon as the train
stopped, families began boarding. The stop in Homestead, however, proved fatal.
Within minutes a title surge of more than 17 feet swept over the train and
island of homes, sweeping most out to sea. In the days to follow, more than five
hundred bodies were found. No one will ever know the exact number of lives lost
on that day. After twenty-three years of service, Henry Flagler's railroad died
at sea during the great hurricane of 1935."

[0] http://www.keyshistory.org/hurrmemorial.html
[1] http://thefloridakeys.com/history.htm
[2]
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/sfl-1935-hurricane,0,1358268.story