[FoRK] Why do people loot when the city is dying?

Luis Villa luis.villa
Wed Aug 31 13:24:09 PDT 2005

> Actually that's been arguably rebutted on boing boing, where it's
> been also claimed.

<shrug> I'm not necessarily claiming the depiction is accurate, but I
am irritated that the media does seem incapable of distinguishing
between 'my house is gone and I need food, toilet paper, and clothing'
and 'I'm taking TVs'; one of which I agree needs to be severely
punished, and the other of which is completely understandable.

> What a fuckup. As usual, the guilty parties won't make
> the news, and people will come back and rebuild. Again,
> under sea level.

The massive coverage of the fact that the town is under sea level, and
the very, very long amount of time people will need to live elsewhere
before they come back, *might* discourage reconstruction of NO. All
the people on the beaches elsewhere will be back ASAP, of course.

Luis (whose father lives at 2-3 ft. above sea level in Miami, in a
house that when purchased still had no roof after Andrew)