[FoRK] Why do people loot when the city is dying?

Eugen Leitl eugen
Wed Aug 31 13:39:00 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 01:32:41PM -0700, Bill Humphries wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2005, at 1:16 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> >Ditto skyscrapers. Lemmings seemingly thrive in low-entropy places.
>
> Yeah, I guess you could become a download in some dark, cold orbit
> beyond the Kupier Belt, safe from all us monkeys, but what do you do
> when a neighboring star goes supernova?

Circumstellar is low-tech. Advanced solid state uses catalyzed matter-energy
conversion.

Astrophysical objects are really predictably borrrring, so there's some GYrs
to plan to reloate (assuming you'd want to, supernova in lighthour distance
is boooorrring, and silent neutron star close binaries aren't exactly inconspicous).

Even if the worst happens, it's just hitting some solid state hicks
in some obscure pocket somewhere. Negligible.