[FoRK] Why do people loot when the city is dying?

Lorin Rivers lrivers
Wed Aug 31 15:33:03 PDT 2005

There was something on NPR (IFIRC) about how the flood control systems
have wreaked havoc with the wetlands/delta--miles and miles of them
have disappeared since the Army Corps of Engineers built all the
levees and what not. For one thing, the wetlands would have served as
a buffer for the surge AND (before all the levee construction, etc.)
might have even taken the edge off of the hurricane since there would
have been something like 40 miles of swamp to go over before reaching
"land". Hurricanes get their power from warm *open* water.

I think flood control is retarded and anybody who lives in a flood
plain gets no sympathy from me. Not that I want NO to be abandoned,
it's one of my favorite cities, since it has a tiny bit of individual
culture left. But seriously, if you live on the gulf coast you should
not be eligible for any kind of flood insurance or government funds
(except to pay for relocation).

But since global warming doesn't exist, I'm sure this won't be a
growing problem.