[FoRK] Re: Re: Study says coffee delivers more health benefits thanfruitand veg

Corinna schultz
Thu Sep 1 06:19:11 PDT 2005

I wish *I* could have a garden... It's *soooo* hot here, nothing reasonable
will grow without tons of attention.  I guess if you're a health nut and
drink aloe juice, you could grow lots of those...  (The valley is a major
supplier of aloe products...)

I tried growing some tomato plants, and once it started growing fuit, these
really, really weird black and red spindly-legged, clumping, fast-growing
hordes of bugs (I don't remember what they're called, I looked them up on
the Internet at the time because they were so striking in appearance and
behavior) attacked them. They poke mouthparts into the fruit and suck out
the juice, so the tomatoes ended up puckered-looking.

I tried growing onions, but it was too hot and dry so they died.  I tried
growing basil, but it was attacked by several kinds of caterpillars, and
then covered in spider webs...

Now I've got a pot of ivy haging in my kitchen because any plants on the
floor get shredded by my cats :(  They killed two of my favorite plants (a
non-spiny cactus and an african violet) when we brought them inside for
hurricane Emily.

-Corinna

"Strata R. Chalup" <strata at virtual.net> wrote in message
news:43160244.4060905 at virtual.net...

> I'm compensating by overdosing on fresh lycopene, courtesy of Lycopersia
> Lycopersicum, eg the tomato avalanche currently occurring in slow motion
in my
> backyard.  The 70" oval table in my dining room is currently largely
covered by
> tomatoes, including the pint of cherry tomatoes and the 2-quart colander
full of
> yellow pear tomatoes.  Must. Get. Off. Line. And. CAN.
>
> SRC
>
> Corinna wrote:
>
> > Cranberries and bananas are up there in terms of content by weight.
Health