[FoRK] Re: Re: Katrina - National Guard??

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Thu Sep 1 08:30:42 PDT 2005

The beauty of a presidential / congressional led representative
democracy is that we can later blame it on the ones who Used to be in
office while putting on a whole new face.  The new administration can
say "Yea, those guys were bastards.  Do you want to play nice now or what?"

Usually, the US tempers it's actions by adhering to International rules,
laws, treaties, and other means of gentle dimplomacy.  We've certainly
worn a lot of that thin this time around, but sometimes a rough and
messy shakeup can clear the way for a better set of relationships.  The
Arabs finally get to try out their long-hanging threat of war against
the infidels and the US gets to flex it's clumsy but infinitely powerful
muscles.  Everybody should be over it for a long time at some point.

As for terrorism, as long as the numbers stay low enough, it will
probably have to become like background noise to people, something like
car accidents.  Various societies and practices may have to change
(what's with all of the stupid religious gatherings of hundreds of
thousands of people?  Or with long lines outside at police training
areas?) to lower the possibility of mass destruction, but we're already
going that way in some respects.  I don't provide much of an attractive
target telecommuting from my fortress/house or driving my individual
vehicle rather than taking mass transit to concentrated population areas.

sdw