[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Adam L Beberg beberg
Thu Sep 1 12:05:45 PDT 2005

So I'm a little confused...

Everyone that could leave, left before the storm. They are fine. The
flooded aread is 6 miles wide, so it's ~3 miles from any spot to dry
land... Your average human walks at 3mi/hr, swims about 1. So your "get
the hell out" time is max 3-4 hours. Most can go 2-3 days without water,
and a week without food.

Now understandably, many people are trapped, so cannot move, and
everyone I've seen on the tele has been shall we say... morbidly obese
plus a few crispy creams, and so you have to figure walking at 1mi/hr
and floating at 1/3... Even if you are not that city is no longer a
place you want to be becasue of food, disease, water, electricity, etc.

So why is there still a problem beyond the need to fill out piles of
insurance forms? All see is people standing around.

Oh, and gas prices here went way up, even tho NONE of our fuel passes
through New Orleans. The Governator needs to get off his butt and sign a
anti-profiteering order ASAP.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/