[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Luis Villa luis.villa
Thu Sep 1 13:16:59 PDT 2005

On 9/1/05, rst at ai.mit.edu <rst at ai.mit.edu> wrote:
> Adam L Beberg writes:
>  >
>  > Now understandably, many people are trapped, so cannot move, and
>  > everyone I've seen on the tele has been shall we say... morbidly obese
>  > plus a few crispy creams, and so you have to figure walking at 1mi/hr
>  > and floating at 1/3... Even if you are not that city is no longer a
>  > place you want to be becasue of food, disease, water, electricity, etc.
>  >
>  > So why is there still a problem beyond the need to fill out piles of
>  > insurance forms? All see is people standing around.
>
> You seem to be assuming that things are OK outside city limits.

You also assume one can walk in a straight line. After Katrina hit
Miami (remember, only category 1 winds there, and basically no
flooding in the parts of town my family lives in), my step-sister
drove to my mother's house. Normally takes about 30 minutes. Took five
hours the day after the hurricane, as she repeatedly found routes
impassable just from downed branches and trees and had to detour.

So, replace 'branches and trees' with 'trees, complete houses, and
flood water', and as rst noted, make appropriate adjustments for how
far you would have to go on foot to find potable water and livable
buildings. That should give you a very large multiplier. I'd guess at
least 10, perhaps 50, perhaps 100.

Take this multiplier and take however big an asshole you thought
Beberg was. Voila! You now have a new, more up-to-date value for
exactly how big an asshole Beberg is.

Luis