[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Eugen Leitl eugen
Thu Sep 1 13:33:41 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 04:03:02PM -0400, rst at ai.mit.edu wrote:
> Adam L Beberg writes:
>  >
>  > Now understandably, many people are trapped, so cannot move, and
>  > everyone I've seen on the tele has been shall we say... morbidly obese
>  > plus a few crispy creams, and so you have to figure walking at 1mi/hr
>  > and floating at 1/3... Even if you are not that city is no longer a
>  > place you want to be becasue of food, disease, water, electricity, etc.
>  >
>  > So why is there still a problem beyond the need to fill out piles of
>  > insurance forms? All see is people standing around.
>
> You seem to be assuming that things are OK outside city limits.  The
> whole area --- *everything* for miles around --- is in very bad shape.
> Walk three miles, and you wind up someplace that doesn't look much

What's with picking up some water and supplies in a backpack (all looted)
walking 60 miles today, and (owch, owch, owch) maybe 40 miles tomorrow, and
the day after tomorrow? Or cycling, if nobody's driving you could hitch a
ride with?

The biggest problem would be crossing the flooded area, and not getting
sick nor drowning by currents.

> better than where you started.  Here are a few photos posted by the

If you're outside of flooding, and no longer in a partly flooded
piece of land enclosed from three sides, sharing with some Lord of the
Flies denizens, you're probably way better off.

Maybe any of you survival types could explain why this wouldn't work
for a single reasonably able bodied male.