[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Adam L Beberg beberg
Thu Sep 1 13:34:00 PDT 2005

rst at ai.mit.edu wrote on 9/1/2005 1:03 PM:
> Adam L Beberg writes:
>  >
>  > Now understandably, many people are trapped, so cannot move, and
>  > everyone I've seen on the tele has been shall we say... morbidly obese
>  > plus a few crispy creams, and so you have to figure walking at 1mi/hr
>  > and floating at 1/3... Even if you are not that city is no longer a
>  > place you want to be becasue of food, disease, water, electricity, etc.
>  >
>  > So why is there still a problem beyond the need to fill out piles of
>  > insurance forms? All see is people standing around.
>
> You seem to be assuming that things are OK outside city limits.  The
> whole area --- *everything* for miles around --- is in very bad shape.
> Walk three miles, and you wind up someplace that doesn't look much
> better than where you started.  Here are a few photos posted by the
> government of a different county, and not a particularly close one, to
> let displaced residents know why they're not being allowed back in:
>
>   http://www.plaqueminesparish.com/EmergencyPreparedness/FromtheOfficeoftheParishPresident.php

If this happened anywhere else on earth, there would be a tent city
"near" NO, and everyone would be directed to get to that place ASAP.
Instead, we are sending the military and supplies _in_ to a place that
will not be surviveable for weeks/months.

It's rediculous seeing perfectly healthy people still standing around in
the water, when dry land with passable roads (meaning supplies can reach
them) is a couple hours walk from them. Guess they will just have to
wait for the bus like the people that actually need a bus to move them.

We the people sure are lazy. How do the public schools rate in NO? Will
I be surprised when I find out? Should I really expect them to help
themselves? *sigh*

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/