[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

snitsnat snitilicious
Thu Sep 1 13:51:31 PDT 2005

At 04:33 PM 9/1/2005, Adam L Beberg wrote:

>If this happened anywhere else on earth, there would be a tent city "near"
>NO, and everyone would be directed to get to that place ASAP. Instead, we
>are sending the military and supplies _in_ to a place that will not be
>surviveable for weeks/months.
>
>It's rediculous seeing perfectly healthy people still standing around in
>the water, when dry land with passable roads (meaning supplies can reach
>them) is a couple hours walk from them. Guess they will just have to wait
>for the bus like the people that actually need a bus to move them.
>
>We the people sure are lazy. How do the public schools rate in NO? Will I
>be surprised when I find out? Should I really expect them to help
>themselves? *sigh*

I'm confused. How can they walk when the streets are flooded?

The mayor just told people in the convention center to march across town to
get themselves whatever they could from the dry end of town. They have no
supplies of food and water for the people who are on dry land. Apparently,
he doesn't expect any soon, either. Or, does someone have better
information than I?

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

                        -- rwmartin