[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Luis Villa luis.villa
Thu Sep 1 14:09:30 PDT 2005

On 9/1/05, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/05 1:33 PM, "Eugen Leitl" <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > What's with picking up some water and supplies in a backpack (all looted)
> > walking 60 miles today, and (owch, owch, owch) maybe 40 miles tomorrow, and
> > the day after tomorrow? Or cycling, if nobody's driving you could hitch a
> > ride with?
>

> You might be able to do more like 15-20 miles the first day in that terrain
> if one was particularly motivated and not physically disabled.  But for your
> average sedentary citizen, doing so would significantly limit their ability
> to too many miles the next day when the wear and tear on a body unused to
> exercise caught up with them.  But generally you are correct; there is no
> reason a person could not have traveled 20-30 miles by now.  A few dozen
> miles inland and one should be home free for the most part.  I certainly
> would have in the same situation.  It seems that many people are some
> combination of too lazy to do what they need to do to get out and genuinely
> expecting that help will drop out of the sky "any second now" without a
> concept of the scope of the problem.
>

> The really serious problem, which apparently has not filtered into the heads
> of many people, is that the infrastructure for transport logistics is
> utterly demolished across a country-sized region.  You cannot get supplies
> in or out by land, sea, or air except in extremely limited amounts.
> Expecting vast quantities of aid to drop in when there is no remaining
> infrastructure to support logistics on the scale required is foolishness. It
> is far easier for humans to get out than aid to get in at this point.

Let me paraphrase the above two paragraphs:

'people can walk 20-30 miles'

'the infrastructure is demolished across a country sized region'

That same infrastructure is what people *walk on*. There are no clear
sidewalks and no clear roads of any substantial length within 150
miles of New Orleans. Any walking out of New Orleans will have to be
done with a machete in hand, hacking regularly all the way. No one
except the exceptionally fit and trained makes good time doing that.

Luis