[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

J. Andrew Rogers andrew
Thu Sep 1 14:26:56 PDT 2005

On 9/1/05 2:12 PM, "Andy Armstrong" <andy at hexten.net> wrote:

> And we have the benefit of hindsight. I'm sure there's a powerful
> instinct to go home (most people's preferred refuge), lock the doors
> and turn on the TV when something like this is impending.

The eastern seaboard blackout a few years ago illustrated the tunnel vision
of people in this situation for me.  I was en route to Manhattan at the
time, where my girlfriend was already hanging out at the hotel in midtown.
Lacking any contact with the outside world, she assumed that the blackout
was limited to her section of Manhattan, where she was essentially trapped.
It was not until many hours later when she was able to call me that she
learned that a big chunk of the eastern US had lost power, not just her
neighborhood.

For most people, the scope of a problem is limited to what they can see
outside their window or on television.  Lacking television or any other form
of mass communication, they just assume that what they see out their window
is the scope of a problem.  They might make different decisions with more
complete information.

J. Andrew Rogers