[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

J. Andrew Rogers andrew
Thu Sep 1 14:35:51 PDT 2005

On 9/1/05 2:09 PM, "Luis Villa" <luis.villa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me paraphrase the above two paragraphs:
>
> 'people can walk 20-30 miles'
>
> 'the infrastructure is demolished across a country sized region'
>
> That same infrastructure is what people *walk on*. There are no clear
> sidewalks and no clear roads of any substantial length within 150
> miles of New Orleans.

Infrastructure is for vehicles.  People evolved for millions of years to
travel tens of miles a day in the absence of infrastructure.  Humans can
travel a lot of places vehicles cannot, and the staging areas for
rescue/relief efforts are not *that* many  miles away.

Will trekking through swamp and chest high water in places suck?  Hell yes,
and it will be slow going for sure.  But there is also a number of areas
where a decent pace of progress could be maintained as well if you chose
your route with some due care.  Far from ideal, but doable.

I've done that kind of nasty trekking many years ago and I would not want to
do it again, but I know it is possible to do it.  'Unpleasant' really does
not fit into the calculation when it is a survival situation.

J. Andrew Rogers