[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Eugen Leitl eugen
Thu Sep 1 23:55:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:09:26PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> Let me paraphrase the above two paragraphs:
>
> 'people can walk 20-30 miles'

I live a sedentiary life style but biking 120 km the first day or
walking 80 km the first day is very doable. (Yes, I hiked in
the CA desert and mountains in sweltering heat, and haven't
seen a single person -- only on high mountain roads, in *cars*.
Ditto on the streets -- people in cars would *honk* at you if
you're a pedestrian).

Yes, fire ants are nasty, and are an excellent reason to get
off the roof. Of course way less than above distance
if you want to pace it, and the
next days shouldn't end in agony.
The main difficulty would be getting out of the city. I very
much doubt it would require swimming for miles without being able
to rest somewhere -- look at Google Earth and flooding photos
(before/after).

The only reason to not to walk is to be elderly or otherwise
disabled, or unwilligness to leave relatives behind.

> 'the infrastructure is demolished across a country sized region'
>
> That same infrastructure is what people *walk on*. There are no clear
> sidewalks and no clear roads of any substantial length within 150
> miles of New Orleans. Any walking out of New Orleans will have to be
> done with a machete in hand, hacking regularly all the way. No one
> except the exceptionally fit and trained makes good time doing that.

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. There are evacuation buses there. These
weren't air-dropped, and won't be picked by heavy copters.
The road asphalt is all there, and in reasonably good shape. It's even easier on
bike and on foot.

The people wade and loot just fine in the toxic crap.

I'm of course not there, and all this is purely theoretical.
It still rubs me the wrong way.