[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

J. Andrew Rogers andrew
Thu Sep 1 23:58:13 PDT 2005

On 9/1/05 11:39 PM, "Joe Barrera" <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> I felt pretty proud of myself for doing a 7 mi round-trip hike last
> weekend. Granted, it was at 10,000 feet with 2,000 feet elevation
> gain. But still... hiking 80 mi in one day is unrealistic for 90+% of
> anyone, I don't care what modernized country you pick.

7 miles at 10k with a 2k gain is nothing to sneeze at.  That is equivalent
to a hell of a lot more than 7 miles on level ground at sea level.

Even super-soldiers probably are not good for more than 30 miles on a decent
path if they plan on doing anything the next day.  Most people can do 15
miles as a one-off even if they are out of shape, particularly on level
ground.  Part of the reason this mess occurred in the first place is that
Louisiana has no mountains. :-)

Rough slogging in any case.

J. Andrew Rogers