[FoRK] Re: Re: Katrina - National Guard??

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Sep 2 08:10:39 PDT 2005

I wouldn't say that automobiles are a "more immanent threat".  They are
a tool that has an associated risk of "failure".  Terrorism, like crime
at least to some extend, falls into a category of "unnecessary risk"
that should be avoidable.  You could argue that the cost of civilization
is some degree, or at least pressure for, crime, but we feel that it is
something that is broken and fixable.

Only weapons and acts of mass destruction worry me.  Individual car
bombs or whatever are less likely to affect me than a random accident.
When we had the snipers in DC, although it was a new and interesting
threat, it was not really a concern, and I was driving on the beltway
and getting gas nearby the whole time.

You're right, it's the irrational boost that is the real problem.  The
threat of fear itself you might say.

It is interesting how 600 people were trampled to death because of the
rumor of a nearby car/person bomb.
Would all people have reacted the same way?  What would a rowdy crowd of
stereotypical "Texas redneck shit kickers" have done?  I imagine that
the more protective / macho among us would have been more likely to run
toward the supposed danger to do something about it.

Is it so hard to A) avoid gathering in groups in areas of known fanatics
and B) work out grouping rules that avoid anyone secretly joining a
group without being searched in sparse areas?  Wearing all those
"moddest" robes doesn't work out so well when you are trying to find
those with a belt of explosives.

At least we know we're safe on beaches and many night clubs: you have to
show skin to be in.

sdw