[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Sep 2 08:28:20 PDT 2005

I had a brisk walk with almost no water (better climate) in Montreal two
years ago: 43 miles in 11 or 12 hours.
I felt fine until some muscle cramps in one leg the next day.  I suppose
I'm not average.

A few weeks ago I did 15 miles in very difficult ridge terrain in Oahu
with 4700ft. gain total.  Hard core Hawaiin hiking, the kind you can
only find through local clubs and not any hiking guide, are DIFFICULT,
scary, and fun if you liked to be pushed almost over the limit.  Imagine
a ridge 1 ft. wide, with 60% from horizontal slopes down 1000+ ft. on
each side and a 6" muddy path.  Or areas with a 20 ft. muddy rise/drop
(each way) in 10 ft., with slippery mud directly into a 1000+ft. ledge.

This was from the last time I hiked it:
http://sdw.st/albums/pixmarch2001/pix/dscn2582_640.jpg.html
http://sdw.st/albums/pixmarch2001/pix/dscn2577_640.jpg.html
This is a less dangerous, but more photogenic area:
http://sdw.st/albums/pixmarch2001/pix/dscn2526_640.jpg.html
http://sdw.st/albums/pixmarch2001/pix/dscn2544_640.jpg.html

You'd be surprised what you can do when you have to.  There's water
everywhere there in LA/MS.  It will make you sick, but you'll probably
have a lot less chance of dying than from dehydration and once you
develop immunity, traveling to Mexico should be more fun. ;-)

sdw